Monday, June 18, 2012

Living largo



 One thing I love about Facebook is how people share music. And every once in a while, not often but sometimes, something hits you at the right time.

Like this link shared by my friend Tim Ecker. Tim loves the era of the 78s and the old singers. It is funny because he is only something like 22.

I think on this Web log we have discussed how what you listen to first thing in the morning can color your whole day. Jussi Bjorling singing Handel's "Ombra mai fu" sure lends dignity to Monday and to the work week.

It is so Largo!

Listen to the first syllable, how his voice grows. He just lets the word billow out.

It must have felt great.

Dear Jussi, one of my favorite tenors. He radiates such exhilaration!

And George Frederick Handel, the voice of an era when music was music.

 Lending drama and dignity to this cloudy Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Just discovered this blog and love it! Also discovered Jussi Bjorling about 7-8 years ago via a CD called Tenor of the Century. My reaction: "Jussi where have you been all my life??" Bjorling and Merrill singing the duet from Pearl Fishers - I want that playing when I head for the big stage in the sky. The same CD has him singing O Holy Night, I believe in Swedish. Never fails to thrill. There is a poignant quality in his voice that touches me deeply. My favorite tenor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That deleted comment was mine ... I got the typography all screwed up. Solange, I was trying to thank you for the nice comment and say what a treat it is to hear from another Jussi Bjorling fan. That "O Holy Night," I love it too, and I've written about it on the Web log (I was trying to link to it, that's what screwed me up, but if you search for it, it'll come up.) Thanks so much for your Lieder comment too on the other post. I like your honesty! I am going to answer that separately. Thanks again. Jussi Bjorling forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to Bjorling sing Celeste Aida and then happened to hear Andrea Bocelli sing it. Jeez Louise, Bocelli is a butcher! How can he be so popular?

    (I thought at first it was funny you removed your own comment. Like it was rude or obscene and you thought better of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this whole crossover thing, it kind of escapes me. I had to interview Bocelli once. It took forever just to get him on the phone... all kinds of complications. Then he was in Italy and we needed a translator...Unbelievable, when you can get the world's greatest pianists and violinists, not to mention singers, on the phone with almost no problem at all. It is a mad world we live in, Solange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I interviewed Ben Heppner in Toronto once, just at the beginning of his fame. Very nice guy, ambled into the Canadian Opera Company offices all by himself and we had a lovely chat for a hour. I was with the Wall St. Journal at the time.

    ReplyDelete