Saturday, April 14, 2012

Friend in high places


Just when I thought nothing exciting would happen today I got on Twitter and learned that I was being followed by the conductor Lorin Maazel!

I was trying to think when I had written about Lorin Maazel before. This is when.

At the time I wrote that I remember loving how Maazel lived with his wife and his 106-year-old father. His father would be what now, 109? I hope he is still among us! I am not going to Google because if he is not, I do not want to find out.

That and, Lorin Maazel's wife is named Dietlinde. I remember that one day, reading up on all that.

Here is Lorin Maazel playing the heck out of the finale of Beethoven's Seventh.



Hahaa, I always love looking at the comments. One listener writes:

"Where the hell on earth do you find such movements written these days? I am such a fan of Beethoven!"

Me, too!

People on YouTube are sniffing about how fast Maazel takes this movement but it does not sound excessively fast to me. Admittedly I am biased because now he is my buddy.

On Twitter Lorin Maazel goes by @MaestroMaazel. He seems very plugged in! As of press time, he has 20,007 followers. I am one! I followed him back. And he follows 2,388 people. A mere 2,388 people I should say. And I am, ahem, one.

I am honored that Lorin Maazel follows me.

I will have to try not to Tweet annoying things.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. However, there are many different types of pianist and more over, various taste-types of audience for piano music. Overall, sheet music needs to be read with ease and a piano lamp will definitely help out in an auditorium. I bought a piano light with LED from www.conocopianolamps.com and it works out great for me. I also found www.conocolighting.cocm has the same products but better prices later. If you are serious about get one of these to play in an auditorium or practice in the evening or in a darker room, you should not go for the non-led ones. Good Luck and great post.

    ReplyDelete