Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The things that we can't see


The other day I got a new CD by a pianist named ... what was he named? It does not really matter because the post is not actually about him. His name is Georgy Tchaidze. He is Russian, from St. Petersburg.

Georgy Tchaidze's CD is all Schubert and he "gets" Schubert. He plays the music simply and well. And anyway, I put on my headphones at my desk at work and then I just ...

... sat there.

Broadsided by Schubert.

It happens sometimes. I think: how did he come up with this music?

How did God speak through this ungainly, pudgy young man who lived 200 years ago?

I get tears in my eyes listening to this stuff. I did not even know this one sonata very well. Parts of it I knew, but not the whole thing. And still I sat there, just broadsided. Caught unawares. I could not believe it.

We have a line at Mass when we say that God made all things visible and invisible. Visibilium omnium et invisibilium.

Schubert saw the invisibilium. Maybe not the omnium invisibilium but he saw things normal people cannot see.

I am sure of it.

There are these "Three Piano Pieces." I mean, listen. This guy Tchaidze is not on YouTube playing this piece so I give you Enrico Pace. Because he has hair like Schubert in the picture up above.

No comments:

Post a Comment