Tuesday, March 8, 2022

A Mozart Manuscript For Sale

 



Online shopping is the greatest! I get on Abe Books looking for a score for Gustav Mahler's songs from "Des Knaben Wunderhorn." I have a few I want to try now that I, ahem, have this voice I never knew I had.

I end up wandering around the site for a few minutes and what do I see but a Mozart manuscript!

I mean a real one!

I cannot make out all the German right now but it appears to be to one of his canons. That is it up above. When I get a minute I am going to figure out exactly what this thing is because this is something we should know.

The price? US$ 391,686.64.

I love the 64 cents. Plus $21.73 shipping! Got to love that. It is coming from Germany.

Where's my checkbook?

You start thinking: I could sell my house, scrounge around, buy this thing. Imagine that. It would be just you and this Mozart manuscript. Your one possession.

You could take it out and look at it. Feel it. Your hands could touch this paper that Mozart touched. You would own this little piece of Mozart's life. 

You would not have to tell anyone you had it and so you would not have to guard it. No thief who broke into your house would recognize it as being of value. Oh wait, you would have sold your house, so that solves that problem anyway. There would be no house for anyone to break into.

$391,686.64. Plus $21.73 shipping.

It would almost be worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment