Saturday, December 7, 2013

And called it macaronic


There is a wonderful term that means something is part one language and part another language.

It is macaronic!

As in the Christmas carol "In Dulci Jubilo," an ancient song I love, which, as the video's explanation points out, is part in Latin and part in German.



That is a pretty video. I like the pictures of Oberammergau where they hold the passion play. However I also have a taste for an "In Dulci Jubilo" that is more bouncy.

The voices from King's College Cambridge pick it up a little bit. You hear this Pearsall arrangement a lot and I mostly like it, except at the end, I think it goes off the rails a little. I don't like how it trails off and then ends on that questioning note. To me that ending does not work.



 Here is an ambitious and creative treatment by Michael Praetorius for eight voices, performed by the ambitious and creative group Chanticleer. Amazing! This arrangement has energy but also humor. Michael Praetorius was a wonder. Everything he wrote in my experience was vivid and interesting.



Here is a riotous Renaissance version of Praetorius' "In Dulci Jubilo," with the Gabrieli Consort. Wow, this is amazing! Those drums and fanfares!



OK, that does it. Now I have to go put up my Christmas tree.

This macaronic song talked me into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment