Friday, January 27, 2012

Three cheers and a turntable


Great story in today's Wall Street Journal about the resurgence of vinyl, a favorite topic on this Web log.

I have to say that being in the newspaper business I take statistics with a grain of salt. Being told something like, "CD sales fell by 5 percent, whereas vinyl grew by 36 percent ..." I think, well, that could mean that there were 10 vinyl records sold last year, and now there were, I don't know, 14? (I am not too good at doing math before I am through with my coffee.)

It is very easy to get statistics to say what you want them to say.

But still. The story made good points, points that we have made on this Web log before, and will make again. For instance the album art. Isn't that a classic up above? I own that record. This is funny but doing a Google Images search on Mozart album covers it seemed I own most of them.

Also the way when you play a record you are "relatively engaged in the experience," as the writer put it. You cannot just push a button and go on with your life with the music in the background which is the way too often people listen to music in this day and age.

What I liked most about this story was it never had, as Pee-Wee Herman used to put it, the big But. As I read it I was bracing for a disclaimer like: "But the sales of vinyl or still overall very low..." or something like that, something that would ruin the moment. That never came.

Yay!

On that up note we celebrate Mozart's birthday the old-fashioned digital way. I love this, the finale of the "Linz" Symphony. I love the theme that rolls out at 0:55.

No comments:

Post a Comment