Tuesday, March 27, 2012

4 musicians forever young


It was a jolt the other day to hear that Byron Janis was what, 84?

I guess he is. He was born March 28, 1928. He seems perennially youthful for some reason. There is the fact that Byron Janis was the student of Horowitz. It is youthful to be perceived as somebody's student. Also that first name, Byron, makes you think of George Gordon, Lord Byron, the perennially youthful poet.

In Buffalo we have Mayor Byron Brown ...


... who seems perennially youthful too.

Other musicians who seem forever young even though they are not:

Andre Previn, here seen with Leonard Pennario.


Previn always looked the part of the hipster ...


... which makes him seem young.

Who else? Midori, of course.

Is she even 30 yet?


That is not to be confused with Midori the melon liqueur.


Ha, ha! Back to musicians who are forever young. Another one is Joshua Bell, the violinist. The other day I interviewed Joshua Bell and the story was going to be in the paper. And Friday, the night before it was in, I was out at happy hour with a few of my friends. And we got to talking about Joshua Bell.

"Is he even 30 yet?" my friend Judi asked.

And I said, "Gee, I think he said he was 44."

And all of a sudden I got all worried. What if I had misunderstood him? Because he looks so young. Was he 44? What if he had said he was 34 and I had not heard him right? How could Joshua Bell...


... be 44?

Finally my friend Judi Googled him on her iPhone and yes, he was 44.

Unbelievable.

You have to hand it to these musicians.

They are forever young!

1 comment:

  1. "Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago. He'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men." -- from "All About Eve"

    ReplyDelete