Tuesday, November 15, 2011

'They tend to freak out'


Rene Pape, pictured above in an undignified shot that I love, is this bass I like. And yesterday I was listening to his new Wagner CD. It has him singing "Wotan's Farewell" from "Die Walkure."


I can not listen to that music without thinking of two things I know I have written about. One was the time when my sister and I saw the opera in Toronto and both of us wept all through the last scene. We had a sodden Kleenex we were passing back and forth. It was pathetic! 

The other was when I tuned in to a radio broadcast. I had to pull over for the ending. This is not something you can drive through! I pulled over and I stayed there as the singers took their bows. And as he described the scene, the announcer began to weep. I will never forget that!

Anyway, yesterday I happened on this interview with Mr. Pape. Pape talks about his influences who include George London, Hans Hotter and Theo Adam. Hans Hotter is a singer I love.

Pape is asked if audiences for Wagner differ from other audiences.

"Wagner audiences are special, I think," he says. "It's their music -- but in a positive way. It's a passion. Everyone feels extended -- musically and physically -- after five hours or whatever of a Wagner performance. So people tend to -- how should I put it -- well, freak out at the end."

Hahahahaaa!

I guess I am Exhibit A!

The other main thing I got from that interview is that Pape has a dachshund named Wotan.

Cute.

2 comments:

  1. If Rene Pape had turned over, it would have been a great planking photo op!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you meant - there are things when you heard on the radio that makes you want to pull over and just listened in.

    I have moments like this - cannot focus on my current task, just have to drop and concentrate on the topic.

    ReplyDelete